Warm Lemon Garlic Kale with Parmesan
Truth bomb - kale has never been a favourite leafy green vegetable. In fact, I've often struggled to find a way to enjoy kale. So for a very long time I simply didn't even try. And it's totally okay NOT to like kale (or any "healthy" food for that matter) regardless of how much hype and attention it's been given. But with curiosity, space to navigate on my own agenda, and going in with a non-judgemental attitude (ie. not shaming myself if I continued to dislike kale) I actually found that I do enjoy kale cooked with some pretty intense flavours.
This recipe may or may not pique your kale interest and I'm here to say that it's okay to continue to dislike kale! I will definitely not place this dish on a pedestal above any others. But I am excited to share this recipe because I do enjoy it very much.
1 bunch fresh kale
1 tbsp + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 fresh lemon, juiced
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese (or this Vegan Pepita "Parm")
1. Wash the kale under running water, massaging and removing the kale leaves from the stems as you wash.
2. Chop the kale into large pieces and place into a large mixing bowl.
3. Massage the kale with 1 tbsp olive oil, using your fingers.
4. In a medium pan, saute the garlic in 1 tsp olive oil until almost brown. Then add the kale and the lemon juice. Saute the kale ~ 2 minutes until soft but not wilted.
5. Remove the kale from heat and pour back into your mixing bowl. Add in the Parmesan cheese or Vegan Pepita "Parm" and mix well using tongs. Serve warm.
Submitted by Brooke Bulloch, RD