Overnight Oats with Blueberries & Pepitas
Original recipe by Gena Wattam, RD
Overnight Oats (ONO) make a great breakfast (or morning snack) option for people who feel rushed to get out the door for the day. And even if you aren't rushed, as an adult sometimes the last thing we need is to make more decisions! ONO are prepared ahead time so it frees up your morning and starts your day with a satisfying, nutrient-dense meal. It's also nice to swap out the hot oats for cold oats when the summer weather hits.
This recipe is packed with ~15g of plant-based protein and is a good source of fibre, omega 3 fats, calcium, B12, and iron.
1/2 cup rolled or quick oats
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
3/4 cup milk or plant beverage (Of the plant beverage options, I like to use unsweetened soy beverage as it contains 8g of high quality protein/cup. For those following a low FODMAP eating pattern, swap cows milk for lactose free cows milk, or swap soy beverage for almond or cashew beverage).
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp maple syrup
Dash of Cinnamon
2 tsp unsalted pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds) as a topper
Makes 1-2 servings
1) Combine the oats, chia seeds, milk or plant beverage, maple syrup, blueberries, and cinnamon in a mason jar or any reusable container. Shake or stir well.
2) Cover and store in the refrigerator overnight.
3) Top with pepitas (optional to add pepitas the night before; note they soften overnigth so if you like to crunch, add them the next day).
Other ONO options to consider:
- Any favourite fruit - cut up strawberries, peaches, banana, or even frozen dark cherries
- Greek yogurt for added protein
- Coconut flakes