Creamy Pumpkin Mac n' Cheese
Submitted by Brooke Bulloch, Registered Dietitian and mom
As we prepare for another winter, be sure to star this comfort food for that snowy, nose-in-a-book, Sunday afternoon. I know the pumpkin sounds like a misfit with mac n' cheese, but it seriously creates the creamiest texture. Pumpkin is also rich in fibre, potassium, vitamin A, and folate. Of course the aged cheddar cheese adds calcium, B12, and protein, making this dish a well-rounded meal. Optional to serve with a side salad or steamed green vegetable.
2 cups macaroni, dried
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup 1% milk (add a little more if sauce seems too thick)
2 tsp Keens Mustard
2/3 cup canned 100% pure pumpkin puree
2 1/2 cups aged cheddar cheese, grated
1/8 tsp salt
1) Cook the macaroni according to the package. Drain and rinse with cold water. Pour into a baking dish. Set aside.
2) In a medium saucepan over low-medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and stir constantly until smooth. Pour the milk in slowly while whisking. Add mustard, salt and pumpkin. Stir occasionally while on medium heat until the sauce thickens (a few minutes).
3) Remove from heat and stir in the cheese, until melted.
4) Pour the noodles to a baking dish. Add the cheese sauce to the noodles and mix well. Serve warm.
4) * Optional to top with Panko and bake in the oven at 375F for ~15 minutes, until golden brown.
Submitted by Brooke Bulloch, RD