Cabbage Roll Casserole
I just love meaty cabbage rolls, my Polish relatives would call it Bolabki! I enjoy making cabbage rolls and it certainly took a few attempts to get the product I wanted. For many though, cabbage rolls may not be a realistic family supper for those busy weeks. And sometimes we want the hearty ingredients without the work that goes into making the whole roll. I've simplified my cabbage roll recipe into a casserole version. This is a great batch item that freezes and re-heats well for on-the-go dinners.
Preheat oven to 375 F
1 pound lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium cabbage, shredded or chopped
2 tsp parsley, dried (or 1/4 cup fresh, chopped)
2 tsp oregano, dried
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp caraway, crushed with mortar and pestle
1 - 796ml can crushed tomatoes
1 - 50ml can tomato paste
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
1.5 cups water
1 cup instant brown rice, uncooked
Salt and pepper to flavour
1) In a large pot on medium, heat brown the beef until cooked through.
2) Add the onions, garlic, cabbage, and spices and saute a few minutes, stirring often.
2) Add in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and brown sugar mixing well.
4) Add the water and rice to the pot and bring to a boil for just a moment.
5) Turn off the element and transfer the mixture into a 9x11 inch pan and cover. Bake for ~40 minutes (until the rice and cabbage are soft).
Submitted by Brooke Bulloch, RD