Black Bean Burrito Bowl
Recipe developed and submitted by Brooke Bulloch, RD
This cold burrito bowl recipe is fun, colourful, and a great way to incorporate more plant based proteins into meals. You can swap out vegetables for others you prefer, or even mix ground meat with the beans. A balance of carbohydrates, protein, fat, and antioxidants.
Extra virgin olive oil
1 cup brown rice, dry
1 x 398ml can black beans, rinsed
1 cup frozen sweet corn
2 cups fresh spinach
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
1/2 red onion, cut into half moons
1/2 large carrot, grated
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup jack cheese, shredded
1/2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Optional toppers: chopped cilantro, your favourite salsa
1 fresh avocado
1/4 cup plain yogurt
Juice from 1 lime
1 tbsp water
1) Cook the rice as per directed, set aside.
2) Toss the frozen corn in 1 tbsp olive oil and roast in the oven under the broiler until the corn is light brown. Remove and set aside.
3) Saute the red onion and yellow bell pepper in 1 tbps olive oil a few minutes, until soft. Place into a bowl and set aside.
3) Saute the black beans in a non-stick pan with the spices until warmed through and well mixed.
4) Dressing: add all the ingredients together and use either a mini blender, mini processor, hand mixer or fork to blend into a thick dressing.
5) Build your bowl, top with avocado dressing, salsa, and cilantro!