Parmesan Crusted Eggplant
It took me awhile to really appreciate and enjoy eggplant. It's a beautiful colour that is so enticing, but really has the potential to get mushy or soggy during cooking. This recipe is perfect finger food for the family and the eggplant stays pretty crispy! You can use any size of eggplant but I like the the petite rounds that the long eggplant makes.
Preheat oven to 400F
1 long eggplant, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, whisked
1/3 cup Panko or bread crumbs
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp basil, dried
1 tsp oregano, dried
1 tsp parsley, dried
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1) Lay the cut up eggplant pieces out and salt one side of them. Let sit for 15 minutes. This will draw out some of the moisture, preventing mushiness.
2) Mix together the Panko, parmesan cheese, and dried herbs.
3) Set up a station with bowls in the order of: flour, eggs, and panko/parm mixture.
4) One eggplant piece at a time: dredge in flour, then dip into the egg wash, then bread with the panko/parm mixture pressing into both sides.
5) Place breaded eggplant on a cookie sheet (use a raised rack if you have as this allows heat to get the bottom side of the eggplant witout flipping).
6) Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.
Submitted by: Brooke Bulloch, RD