Quinoa Salad Basics
Everyone should have this base quinoa salad recipe up their sleeve for on-the-go evenings, a quick yet impressive pot-luck side, or for work week lunches. It is easy and it comes together quickly.
But here's the best part: you can take this base recipe and make it a complete meal by adding one of the following options:
- Sauteed chicken breast, shrimp, or firm tofu (Low FODMAP options)
- Chick peas or black beans (if using canned, rinse well)
- Pecans, walnuts, or pumpkin seeds (Low FODMAP options)
You can also add flavourful twists with:
- Goat or feta cheese (low FODMAP option)
- Mango! Mango? Sure, why the hell not!
Additionally, this base recipe gluten free, vegan, and FODMAP friendly (if sensitive to garlic, then you may need to leave out the garlic powder).
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 handfuls of spinach, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced (I used orange because I love the colour contrast)
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 5 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro (optional)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Juice from 1/2 fresh lemon
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (use garlic-infused olive oil for low FODMAP option)
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
1) Cook quinoa as per directions for 1 cup serving on the back of the package. Once cooked, set aside to cool.
2) In the meantime, chop your veggies and cilantro and add to a medium-sized bowl.
3) In a small dish or tupperware container shake or mix together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon, garlic, and sugar.
4) Add the cooked and cooled quinoa to the bowl with the veggies, and mix well.
5) Pour the dressing onto the quinoa and veggies and mix well again.
6) Store in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Submitted by Brooke Bulloch, RD