Eggplant Pizza Bites
It has been my mission to find a recipe with eggplant that I actually like. Eggplant is so pretty and colourful, but I have struggled to know what to do with it, and often find it mushy when I have used eggplant in a recipe. You too? Well, hold on tight because this recipe just might blow your socks off (or at least surprise you)!
Preheat oven to 350F
1 medium sized eggplant
1 x 50ml can tomato paste
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Pinch of salt
~12-15 Provolone rounds or ~ 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
~100g thinly shaved prosciutto or ham (I purchased from the grocery store deli)
Fresh basil or arugula
Optional to also add grape tomato halves
1) Cut the ends of the eggplant off and discard. Then cut the eggplant into ~1/4 inch rounds.
2) Salt both sides of the eggplant and let sit for ~20 minutes. This helps to draw the moisture out of the eggplant so that it doesn’t go soggy during cooking.
3) In the meantime, mix the tomato paste with the dried basil, oregano and salt (essentially making your own simple pizza sauce without all the fillers and excess sodium).
4) After 20 minutes, wipe the moisture and salt off the eggplant rounds.
5) Layer each eggplant round with the tomato paste, prosciutto, cheese and tomatoes (or any other veggies you choose). Leave the basil or arugula until the end.
6) Place the rounds on a raised rack (I also put a cookie sheet underneath to catch any dripping cheese and save a big mess).
7) Bake ~15 minutes at 350F, remove from the oven, add the fresh basil or arugula and bake another 5 minutes (or you can add it fresh without baking).
Makes ~15 pizza bites
Submitted by Brooke Bulloch, RD