Double Chocolate Cherry Nice Cream
Nice cream seems to be all the rage these days so I just had to try it out for myself. I think I went through 40 bananas trying various flavours and recipes, and this one if by far my favourite (chocolate peanut butter coming close).
Nice cream is essentially a dairy free, gluten free, low fat, low calorie frozen treat option. By no means do I shame or discourage ice cream, but I do enjoy alternatives, especially when I can easily make them at home with whole ingredients. Some of you may have tried out my Frozen Yogurt Pops - also delicious but not dairy free. A few options for those hot, sunny days to come!
- 4 frozen, ripe bananas
- 2 cups frozen dark cherries
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup fortified, unsweetened, coconut beverage (such as Silk brand)
- Mini dairy free chocolate chips (such as Enjoy Life brand)
1. Cut the bananas into large pieces
2. Add 1/2 the banans and 1/2 the cherries to a food processor (a really good blender might work too), along with the cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and coconut milk. Blend until one smooth consistency.
3. Add the remaining bananas and cherries and continue to mix until one smooth texture.
4. Transfer the nice cream from the processor into a loaf pan. Top with ~1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
5. Freeze 2 hours before serving
Makes 6 servings
Nutrient Profile per serving: 130 calories; 30 grams carbohydrate; 4 grams fibre; 2 grams fat; 2 grams protein; Rich source of vitamin C
Submitted by Brooke Bulloch, RD