Crispy Chicken Nuggets
This family-friendly recipe is a favourite, and so easy to make. The prep time is about 10-15 minutes and the bake time is 12 minutes. By making your own chicken nuggets you can reduce the fat and sodium content by 3 times compared to a fast food or frozen product. Throw some raw veggies on the side and you've got a quick, and balanced meal.
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/4 cup flour
1 egg, whisked
3/4 cup Panko (dried bread crumb)
2 large freezer bags (1 for flour, 1 for Panko)
1 medium-sized bowl
Parchment paper to line a cookie sheet
1) Only partially thaw your chicken breast to make it easier to cut. Cut chicken breast lengthwise in 1/2, then cut into 6 pieces. Cut the thicker pieces in 1/2 again to reduce thickness
2) Put all the chicken pieces into the flour bag and shake to dredge (take the moisture out of the chicken)
3) Dust flour off and dip each piece into the bowl with the egg to coat
4) Put all the chicken pieces into the Panko bag, shake well to coat each piece
5) Bake 6 minutes, flip and bake another 6 minutes (until internal temperature is >165 degrees F). Broil on both sides for 45 seconds for extra crisp.
Makes 10-12 nuggets. 6 nuggets contains ~ 10 g protein, 3 g fat and 8% sodium. (A fast food or frozen comparison = ~ 16 g fat and > 20% sodium).