Beat the 2:00 Slump with These Workplace Snacks
Being armed with an afternoon snack at work can give you the mental energy to power through the final hours of your work day. Another coffee or a Dr. Pepper isn't going to sustain you. What your brain needs is a slow release of energy (ie. whole food carbohydrates), and what your appetite needs to sustain you until supper is a little fibre and protein.
You can pack a fresh snack every day for work (along with your lunch, right?), or you can store perishable snacks in your drawer for a back-up.
- Yogurt with berries (you could get fancy with a tablespoon of chia seeds or granola)
- Raw veggies with hummus to dip
- Celery or apple slices with natural peanut or almond butter
- A few triscuit crackers with cucumber slices and a few slices aged cheedar cheese (I like to call this a cracker stacker)
- Cottage cheese with pineapple and cinnamon
- Grapes and a hardboiled egg
- A banana and 2 of our No Bake Energy Bites
Back-ups for the Office Drawer
- Roasted, flavoured chickpeas (e.g. Three Farmers or The Good Bean - usually found in the health food section of a grocery store)*
- Home made trail mix with dried Cranberries, almonds, and plain Cheerios
- Unsweetened dried fruit (e.g. figs, dates, or apricots)*
- Pumpkin seeds*
- Brown rice crackers*
- Mini flavoured tins of tuna*
- KIND bar
- Plain instant oats and boxes of raisins (to sweeten)*
*Suitable for nut allergies
Set yourself up for success and help make the healthy choice, the easy choice. You may not need the snacks you packed, or you may decide you're going to give into the bag of chips from the vending machine, that have been calling your name all day. But give yourself the option - there is power in choice.